Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Stocking a Kitchen

...item by item.

To ease my transition into cooking "real food" with regularity, I am slowly stockpiling the necessary pantry items to make this happen with relative ease.  Today's grocery shopping goal...baking supplies.  It required a patient hunt through the store.  Flour is not by the sugar; brown sugar is not by the white sugar; baking powder comes in small packets, and Arm & Hammer is not the supplier of baking soda.  But I succeeded...as proven by the picture below.  And thanks to Lynette, I already had measuring cups and spoons...which have already proved quite useful. 

CIMG4321

CIMG4325And I have to comment about the size difference between here and the US.  No 5 pound bags of flour or sugar to be found!  I put the coffee mug beside the sugar bag to give perspective.  Honestly, most kitchens in Israel would not have space for the massive bags we can buy in the US. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I just understand what you mean about sizes... I really had to get used again to the 'small" milk containers when we came back from the US...
I'm eager to know which recipe you already tried...
Emmanuelle