I recently read the book "Moveable Marriage", about how to positively respond to the unique challenges experienced within marriage relationships when living abroad. Parts of the book were interesting and helpful. Other parts I found to be less applicable.
The book is geared towards the partner who is "following" their spouse to a new country. The working spouse immediately jumps into the new job and his/her day is filled with responsibilities, structure and routine. For their partner, the adjustment can be a little more difficult. I found myself personally relating to the following excerpt...
"The disorienting and isolating feelings are usually brought to light by something like not being able to find a mop in a new city, or even knowing what store would sell one, or how to get there or how to ask for it."
I have had moments of feeling frustrated about the little details of life when I have been in Israel. Some days, a trip to the grocery store can feel like an exhausting event since so much energy is required to find even the simplest item. It also takes some adjusting to the fact that the array of familiar stores are no longer available to you. If you can't go to Target for your toiletry items, where else can you go? If you need a household item, where do you go if you can't go to the local Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linens n' Things?!?
When I arrived in Jerusalem at Christmas, such a task awaited me! The head of our mop had recently broken. I am happy to report, I was successful in finding a mop head in this city! So if I understand this book correctly, if one can find where to buy a mop, one can successfully live in a foreign country! That's good news for me! :)
PS - Thankfully there is an Ikea in this country! So not all familiarity is lost!!
No comments:
Post a Comment