It's the little things that I will probably miss the most when I move abroad. I wonder if I will reach the point when I will stop being "surprised" by how much I miss those little things?!?
Today, I signed a card to send to my cousin, congratulating her on the birth of her first child. (I am very excited about the arrival of this little girl!!). The fact that the card opens in the opposite direction is to be expected, since you read Hebrew right to left on the page. So even if the card has English text, it seems most cards are still backwards. However, the fact that there is no glue on the envelope was a surprise! This is the second card I have purchased in this country without a means to seal the envelope. Am I spoiled in thinking that envelopes need to come with the glue to seal them?!? So instead of grumbling about the need to go find the tape in order to seal the envelope, I should see this as an opportunity to stop and wonder about how people in other parts of the world seal the envelopes when they send cards. As a curious person, I should find this to be an enjoyable activity! Yes, I may miss the little things about American life when I move here...but I will also have many great opportunities to learn about other cultures and alternative ways to live life. I will probably learn that many of those little necessities of life that I have taken for granted when living in America really aren't necessities at all. However, I take the liberty to still miss those little things...and maybe even grumble about it upon occasion!
No comments:
Post a Comment