My sister loved horses as a girl…and I honestly think that is why I loved horses as a girl. Living on a farm allowed us the privilege to have our share of ponies and horses throughout our growing up years. It was a blessing to have a horse as a girl, but I remember wishing that I could be more involved with the horse world…showing, riding at a “real” stable in a “real” riding ring, tying my horse up at the crossties in a fancy barn, owning a pair of sleek riding boots, etc. It’s funny, because if I ever would own a horse again, I would most likely prefer the type of riding I got to do as a child…bareback riding through the fields and meadow in my sneakers. But alas, there are times as a child when you don’t always fully appreciate the blessing of what you already have.
But all that to say, the “real” horse world does fascinate me, and I have been enjoying living vicariously through my sister and niece. Renee, my 11-year old niece, is a member of her local 4-H horse club. Therefore, my sister is also actively involved with horses once again. They have befriended many generous and wonderful friends through 4-H who have happily shared their equine wealth with them. This has allowed them both to be very involved with all aspects of horses…caring for their daily needs…riding…training…etc.
The Lancaster County 4-H horse show was held the day before I flew back to Israel. I was delighted to jump into the craziness of show preparation with them. Friday night was spent at the barn taking care of last minute details…braiding Zap’s mane, polishing his hooves, cleaning the tack.
The 4:00 AM alarm the next morning awaited us….
Renee and Zap in the walk/trot equitation class.
Renee and Mokey, the miniature horse that was gifted to my sister and niece. They are having a great time training this little gal how to pull a cart! She should be trained by next summer’s show season. For now, Mokey is shown in halter classes.
My sister has recently certified Mokey to be used as a therapy pet in nursing homes, schools, etc. Very cool!!
And I was very happy for the chance to ride Zap around the showground. I was almost living out my childhood dream. All that was missing were those sleek riding boots!
Teresa and Renee – thanks for the very fun day!!
4 comments:
My horse Girls! Dad Sauder
I always wanted to ride your pony when I would come hang out at your house. :-)
ahh..thanks for the trip down memory lane. Just yesterday, at the show, I was telling Julie how dad used to tease me about having to marry a jo-wenger to fulfill my horse dreams. She laughed and said she was glad I didn't have to go that route.
I am loving the life & don't even know what words to use to tell God how thankful I am
Teresa
Mennonite History: Joseph (Joe) Wenger was a Mennonite Bishop of the Old Order Mennonite Church, who use horse & buggies for transportation instead of cars. That church officially is called "Groffdale Conference", but is also known as the "Joe Wenger" Church. Their carriages are black and the Amish carriages are gray. If you want more information google
Old Order Mennonites.
Dad Sauder
Post a Comment