I know that everyone benefits from the wonders and conveniences of the Internet. However, I do think that living abroad...one appreciates the Internet even more. Not only is it incredibly easy to keep in touch with family and friends spread across the globe...the Internet is also such a great resource. I have often thought about how challenging it would be to live in a new land if 1) it took 6 weeks to send/receive any news from home and 2) you had no where to turn to find immediate answers about your new land.
I am also learning something else that is wonderful about the Internet...it is a great resource for cooking. This website, Simply Recipes, is my favorite source of recipes on the Internet. (Karen and Sharon - you should definitely take a look!)
And when living in a Metric World outside of the US, the Internet provides a reliable and quick resource when needing help with measurement conversions.
Honestly I don't know why the US doesn't just adopt the more sensible metric system! Metric is so much simpler...and as this picture reveals, the US is practically alone in its loyalty to the the English measuring system....
I was curious about why the US has remained so loyal to the English system. I learned that the US officially legalized the use of the Metric system in 1866! However, the use of the metric system remained voluntary and everyday Americans never adopted it and were never forced to adopt it. US governmental efforts are ongoing (I was surprised to learn this!) to make the change to metric more mainstream in America. Will we ever go metric in the US?!? Just in case someone is interested in this rather random topic...here's the link to my source - History of Metric in the US.
2 comments:
So, how many liters are in a gallon? Randy has started going to Ontario on the truck to bring corn cobs back to the mushroom houses...and that was what he asked me. I said that I don't remember anymore, although I'm sure I learned it in school, but that I thought I could find it on the internet if necessary. I never did look it up. His reaction is a typical American, as in, "why can't they just use the same as us?"
I'll have to check out the recipe site. Now that Randy's running the midwest I only have to cook a few times a week...the kids are perfecly fine with eggs, pancakes, and grilled cheese sandwiches!
According to google...1 gallon = 3.79 liters!
Ouch...that makes gas very expensive in metric countries when you buy gas by the liter. That means gas in Israel costs about $9-$10/gallon! Thankfully it is a small country :)
Post a Comment